Direct link to this page: http://www.copswiki.org/Common/SunrisePowerlink
- 2016: Alpine is now concerned about high-energy emissions from buried 500kv line through the middle of town.
- SDG&E surprises Lakeside with the announcement that El Monte Valley will be decimated by the huge transmission project.
- CPUC approves the project against EIR recommendations, and does not agree to use the line 33% for renewables.
- 25 Aug 2008 - Deadline for comments to Sunrise Powerlink RECIRCULATED DRAFT ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT REPORT
- 26 Aug 2008 - Dept. of Energy EA scoping hearing for Sempra's 500 kV cross-border power line for their proposed 1,250 MW La Rumorosa Wind south of border at Jacumba. (1-3 & 5-7 p.m.) at the Highland Senior Center, 44681,Old Hwy 80, Jacumba
- 27 Aug 2008 - Deadline for comments on BLM Eastern San Diego County Resource Management Plan
- 09 Dec 2010 - Bogus groundbreaking in Mc Cain valley, attended by Governor Arnold Schwartzenegger, staged to provide the impression that the project is a "done deal" even though there are several pending legal challenges.
Really, it is just another bait and switch project like Stirling, to greenwash a transmission project.
Sempra did not disclose that their LNG line runs through the wind project area and a new water line is under construction. Gas, water and transmission equals another gas-fired power plant at the border. The DOE application states that Sunrise Powerlink or another transmission line is needed to move this new energy.
See media for the DOE Federal Register EA Scoping Notice which includes comment deadline and details.
The proposed SDG&E Sunrise Powerlink (an unnecessary transmission line through Anza Borrego State Park intended to send "dirty" electric power from Mexico to LA).
From "Rock Canyon":
I follow both Sunrise Powerlink and Sempra's Costa Azul and all the corruption in their wake. Did you know that our Southwest Powerline (that we currently use) is connected to Sempra's Mexicali (Costa Azul fed) plant?? That the CPUC allowed Sempra to drop all of San Diego's domestic natural gas accounts, and then "reversed the flow" of all of our natural gas lines in 2009 (at a cost to California ratepayers of $200 MILLION) so that Sempra/SDG&E would have a monopoly and FORCE us to use exclusively- Costa Azul LNG? That the Costa Azul LNG is way more expensive than our domestic natural gas, that Costa Azul LNG carries a 25% GREATER greenhouse gas burden than our domestic natural gas, that the US has a LNG GLUT and prices have never been lower, that our usage in natural gas is getting lower every year and that it's forecast by 2030..Costa Azul and all LNGs at least in Western USA will be USELESS (mothball status)?
Right now I'm following the outright bribery and fraud Sempra committed to get the Costa Azul built...oh by the way...Sempra did not pay for Costa Azul...California ratepayers's did ($900 MILLION)...How does ANYONE in authority think that the Sunrise Powerlink "approval" is any different? Why would the CPUC force us to use this Costa Azul LNG especially since Ensenada is trying to close it down for the health and safety of the people due to Sempra's obvious illegal actions? LNG is extremely dangerous- like a Hiroshima Bomb!
Why are "We The People" forced to invest and pay a criminal like Sempra?..Only the most naive or corrupt believes the Sunrise Powerlink is for "green energy in San Diego"?...if that were the case...we have more than enough capacity for ALL of SDG&E's so-called "renewable energy" on our existing Southwest Powerline..admitted by SDG&E VP, EIR, even Schwarzenegger! and we still don't need it!!
(Just attach your images to this topic and they will automatically be added to the gallery above!)
Recent Articles and Media (Add | All Media)
This is the most recently published articles, most recent first.
Number of topics: 49
- (M1651) State agrees to review Powerlink EMFs -- Supervisor Jacob worries about SDG&E involvement in the investigation -- Jeff Mc Donald, Union Tribune, 2016-03-04
- (M1650) 2016-02-23 Sunrise Powerlink EMI in Alpine Meeting -- Ray Lutz, Citizens Oversight, 2016-02-23
- (M1176) Sunrise Powerlink: No help in Blackout -- Raymond Lutz, Citizens Oversight, 2011-09-19
- (M1127) Over-Capacity Concerns Face New CPUC Members -- William J. Kelly, California Current, 2011-01-28
- (M1121) Financing, legal woes block big Imperial Valley solar project -- Onell Soto, Union Tribune, 2010-12-13
- (M1123) Solar setbacks -- Judith Lewis Mernit, High Country News, 2010-12-13
- (M1063) Powerlink booster may have powered up too soon Official was lobbying within 10 months of leaving the state -- Jeff Mc Donald, Union Tribune, 2010-07-15
- (M985) Sunrise Powerlink Meeting in Alpine, 2010-05-10 -- Raymond Lutz, Citizens Oversight, 2010-05-10 SDG&E attempted to thwart recording of the meeting, Ray Lutz said he would continue to record unless he was arrested.
- (M1064) Way too cozy! Private meetings between SDG&E officials, and state public utility commissioners. -- Michael Turko, Kusi News, 2010-04-20 SDG&E wines and dines CPUC officials just before the Sunrise Powerlink approval
- (M832) Taking a Dim View of Solar Energy -- Matthew Philips, News Week, 2009-08-25
- (M765) Sunrise Powerlink Community Meeting, Alpine, April 6, 2009 -- Raymond Lutz, Citizens Oversight, 2009-04-06
- (M757) Comments on SDG&E Fire Safety by Donna Tisdale -- Donna Tisdale, Citizens Oversight, 2009-03-17
- (M743) Lakeside Community Speaks out against Sunrise Powerlink In El Monte Valley -- Raymond Lutz, Citizens Oversight, 2009-02-25
- (M737) Powerlink meeting is met with outrage -- Residents say SDG&E didn't announce routing -- Anne Krueger, Union Tribune, 2009-02-21 Powerlink to be routed through pristine El Monte Valley.
- (M738) Burned Up: Lakeside Planners, Fire Officials and Residents Vent Anger Over State's Approval of Powerlink with no Notice to their Community -- Miriam Raftery, East County Magazine, 2009-02-18
- (M739) Think Solar, Think Small -- Craig D. Rose, The Nation, 2009-02-16
- (M740) Clouds on SDG&E’s Sunny Plans -- Craig D. Rose, San Diego Reader, 2009-01-28
- (M685) REGION: Stage set for southern power line -- By DAVE DOWNEY - Staff Writer, North County Times, 2008-10-30
- (M660) A Question of power -- Stop the Sunrise Powerlink -- Diane Conklin Donna Tisdale, Citizens Oversight, 2008-10-20 Very important description of the ridiculous Sunrise Powerlink
- (M658) Foreign Liquefied Natural Gas -- Amita Sharma Amy Isackson, Kpbs News, 2008-10-13
- (M633) Cramped power grid foils renewable plans -- Matthew Wald, Union Tribune, 2008-08-28
- (M634) Sunrise "Profitlink" -- a fossil fuel addiction fix -- Raymond Lutz, East County Californian, 2008-08-28
- (M631) Department of Energy Scoping Meeting on Baja Wind Transmission Line -- Raymond Lutz, Citizens Oversight, 2008-08-26 1-4pm Jacumba, CA
- (M622) Comment on Recirculated draft environmental impact report/supplemental draft environmental impact statement for the Sunrise powerlink transmission project -- Steven Siegel, Justin Augustine, Center For Biological Diversity & Sierra Club, 2008-08-25
- (M619) Baja Wind EA Scoping Notice -- , Federal Register, 2008-08-04
- (M621) Contribution to the Recirculated Draft EIR for the Sunrise Powerlink (regarding the RWEP) (Lutz) -- Raymond Lutz, Citizens Oversight, 2008-08-04 [Proves that claims of 1250 MW is not feasible in 7500 acre area proposed.]
- (M581) Officials Hope To Expand County Wind Energy -- Abc News San Diego, Abc News San Diego, 2008-08 Features Jeanette Hartman; Includes footage of the Border Fence work with Duncan Hunter and Brian Bilbray.
- (M583) Smugglers Gulch + BLM proposing wind energy plans for the East County -- Rett Lawrence, Abc News San Diego, 2008-08-01 Features Jeanette Hartman, Duncan Hunter
- (M572) Power line sent SDG&E warnings before fire began -- J Harry Jones, Union Tribune, 2008-07-11 Mentions Michael Aguirre
- (M570) Cal Fire report blames SDG&E -- J Harry Jones Tony Manolatos, Union Tribune, 2008-07-10
- (M571) Fires spawn lawsuits, possible charges against SDG&E -- Dave Downey, North County Times, 2008-07-10
- (M566) San Diego City Attorney's INTERIM REPORT NO. 32: CALIFORNIA’S RENEWABLE ENERGY MANDATE IN PERIL -- Michael Aguirre, San Diego City Attorney, 2008-07-08
- (M568) Witch Fire Investigation Report -- , Cal Fire, 2008-07-08 Power line arcing is determined to be the cause of the fire.
- (M569) Rice Fire Investigation Report -- , Cal Fire, 2008-07-08 Cause determined to be downed power lines
- (M530) REVISED SCOPING MEMO AND RULING OF THE ASSIGNED COMMISSIONER AND ADMINISTRATIVE LAW JUDGE -- Stephen Weissman Dana Grueneich, Public Utilities Commission, 2008-06-20 The ALJ rules that the Draft EIR must be recirculated for further comment due to new information on the La Rumorosa project.
- (M521) Will These Keep the Lights On? -- Joe Deegan, San Diego Reader, 2008-05-28 Mentions Jerry Sanders
- (M512) Hundreds pack meetings on proposed Powerlink -- J Harry Jones, Union Tribune, 2008-05-13 Includes picture of Kristy Mundt
- (M495) Solar Projects Hinge on Proposed Powerlink -- Jaimey Lee, San Diego Business Journal, 2008-04-17
- (M490) Could county follow lead of utility's solar project? -- Dean Calbreath, Union Tribune, 2008-04-13
- (M489) SANDAG board backs Sunrise Powerlink by 17-3 vote -- J Harry Jones, Union Tribune, 2008-04-11
- (M496) Fire danger of Powerlink debated - Experts testify about safety risks -- J Harry Jones, Union Tribune, 2008-04-09
- (M497) State's role over Powerlink debated - Changing park plan could delay project -- J Harry Jones, Union Tribune, 2008-03-27
- (M615) Sempra Energy's Costa Azul LNG terminal on track to completion -- , Energy Business Review, 2008-03-21
- (M435) Sunrise Powerlink and TE-VS Transmission Proposals Evaluation by SANDAG Energy Working Group -- Raymond Lutz, Citizens Oversight, 2008-02-28
- (M492) San Diego Smart Energy 2020 -- Bill Powers, San Diego Renewable Energy Society, 2008-02-20
- (M491) Analysts criticize Sunrise project - Other options proposed for SDG&E's power line -- Dean Calbreath, UCAN, 2008-01-04 SDG&E Sunrise Project: Analyst's E.I.R. report a "Death Knell"
- (M493) San Diego Smart Energy 2020 -- Bill Powers, E Tech International, 2007-10
- (M542) JOINT LETTER on The Modified Route D Alternative to Sunrise Powerlink -- Dan Lawrence, Beryl Buchanan, Randy Lenac, Gene Vick, , 2007-09-04 Joel Anderson
- (M614) Sempra's gas venture gathering steam at Baja site -- Diane Lindquist, Union Tribune, 2005-11-24
To stay informed on this project, you should subscribe to the email discussion list
Take Action - HELP GATHER SIGNATURES
Here are the leaflets and the petitions. WE MUST HAVE TONS OF NAMES ON PETITIONS AGAINST THE POWERLINK TO BALANCE THE LIST OF INSIDERS WHO ARE LISTED AS "FOR" IT.
- Stop The Powerlink Stop Illegal Lobbying Petition -- Sign this petition to request that Attorney General Jerry Brown investigate illegal lobbying and vacate the approval ruling.
- Reinact Pace Petition -- Sign this petition to request that President Barack Obama reinact the PACE (property accessment clean energy) program. With this program inacted, a tidal wave of solar system installations will make the Sunrise Powerlink obsolete even before it is built.
- Sycamore to Torrey Hills Transmission Line:
Copyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding Cops? Send feedback