Get this update in your email box on a weekly basis. Subscribe below: |
This page was newly rebuilt at 2016-05-29 - 15:12 GMT. Rebuild the page anyway.
JOIN US! Lunch Time! Come with OYC to hand out hundreds of flyers to passer-by and interested citizens about what is STILL going on at the Hilton! Bring signs for traffic! Bring flyers, but I have some to share!
Click through to open the complete web-version of the report.: http://www.copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Jul05
But mark your calendars now for these!
NEXT SEVERAL DAYS
* (This list is automatically generated from the topic Common.Occupy San Diego Events
). Look at the Calendar
for more events, not within the next 16 days.
Check back at the Stop TPP website: http://stoptpp.org/
and the Calendar
here for TPP, as some plans are still in flux.
05 Jul 2012 - Thu
- OYC flyering at lunch time at and near the Bayfront Hilton
- (6p-9p) People’s Conference: A Better World Is Possible! - Geopolitics and Empire; Indigenous Rights: Decolonization or the TPP at Centro Cultural De La Raza >>> Details
- (6p-9p) People’s Conference: A Better World Is Possible! - Local Economies and Sustainability, Biodiversity & Global Climate Change at the World Beat Center - Details
06 Jul 2012 - Fri
- OYC flyering at lunch time at and near the Bayfront Hilton
- (5p-7p) Growing Food, Healing Lives: Food Security and Survivors of Violence, a workshop highlighting the power of food justice and security when implemented in social service agencies, facilitated by Cathy Mendonca, Resident Specialist and DV Advocate of Becky's House of the YWCA of San Diego County. FB Event
- (6:30-8:30p) People’s Conference: A Better World Is Possible! - Food Freedom or NAFTA on Steroids - at the Peace Resource Center - Come and Meet Ben Burkett, President of the National Family Farm Coalition discuss the Significance of Food Sovereignty - Video:Food Sovereignty
07 Jul 2012 - Sat
- (10a) Resource Based Economy Journal Distribution before the Pots and Pans march.
- (10:30a) A nine-month anniversary OSD "Pots and Pans" march from Civic Center Plaza to the BayfrontHilton.
- (time TBD) Golden Hill Park Really Really Free Market! Details are on the OSD Website
- (3p-5p) Ms. Chieko Shiina, a tireless activist and organizer from the Kawamata village of Fukushima will speak at the PeaceResourceCenter. For more info see FB Event page, or email Carol Jahnkow at mailto:email@example.com.
- (1p-4p) Occupy Encinitas - 1 PM rally at the corner of Encinitas Blvd. and Coast Highway 101 followed by general assembly at 2:30 PM at Cottonwood Creek Park, corner of Encinitas Blvd. and Vulcan Ave. (GA meets at Leucadia Pizzeria if raining) More info: Facebook or Website
- (12:30p) Labor Solidarity Committee meets at Freedom Plaza
- (2p) GA at Freedom Plaza
09 Jul 2012 - Mon
- (2p) City Council will vote on the Irwin Jacobs plan for Balboa Park, which would eliminate the World Beat Center. This being an agenda item, there will be no one speaker per topic limit.
- (6p-8p) Ocupemos el Barrio - Occupy the 'Hood meets Mondays at Sherman Heights Community Center
10 Jul 2012 - Tue
11 Jul 2012 - Wed
- (2p) Public hearing at the Land Use & Housing Committee, at SanDiegoCityHall, 202 C Street, 12th floor. The body will vote on an ordinance requiring banks to register foreclosed homes and maintain properties that they have chosen to foreclose on, with a $1,000 per day fine for lack of compliance.
- (7p) GA at Childrens Park
- (4p) OB Farmers Market on Newport Avenue in Ocean Beach.
12 Jul 2012 - Thu
13 Jul 2012 - Fri
14 Jul 2012 - Sat
15 Jul 2012 - Sun
16 Jul 2012 - Mon
17 Jul 2012 - Tue
18 Jul 2012 - Wed
- (6p) Imperial Beach City Council to Vote on the Safe Access (Medical Marijuana) Ordinance. At IB Civic Center - FB Event
- (7p) "Occupy the Candidates" project will be discussed at the OSD GA at Childrens Park (1st St at Island) [Please note that there is no GA this weekend due to Pride Activities] See http://www.copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupyTheCandidates for details.
- (7p) GA at Childrens Park
- (4p) OB Farmers Market on Newport Avenue in Ocean Beach.
19 Jul 2012 - Thu
- (6p) Free Class Resource Based Yoga at the Activist Center by People for Social Sustainability
- (7p) People for Social Sustainability will have a free Spanish class near Grant Hill Park, at 335 27th St. - FB Event
- (7p) Bonfire for Justice: San Diego - WE ARE SARA KRUZAN Candlelight Vigil at Crown Point Shores - Join with Sara's aunts Anne and Cecilia in a Candlelight Vigil. Sara was forced into prostitution; finally after years of abuse she killed her pimp and tormenter. She's facing a life sentence for her actions. More info at http://www.freesarakruzan.org/. - FB Event
- (12p) San Diego Reinvestment Task Force at 202 C Street, 12th Floor Hearing Room, San Diego, CA 92101
20 Jul 2012 - Fri
- (8a-9:30a) "A Better San Diego" Breakfast Forum - LGBT Equality - Lessons in Community Organizing - Speakers include State Senator Christine Kehoe, The LGBT Center and CFAC. Breakfast is provided for a suggested donation of $5. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. At UFCW Local 135 - Details
- (6p-7p) Official Hillcrest Pride Flag Raising and Spirit of Stonewall Rally at the corner of Harvey Milk and Normal Streets in Hillcrest. Featured speaker will be Dr. Clarence B. Jones who served as personal legal counsel to Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and helped draft the acclaimed “I Have A Dream” speech. FB Event.
- (6p-10p) - Si Se Puede! Visions & Images Exhibit and film at CentroCulturalDeLaRaza, highlighting the movement by Cesar Chavez and the UFW. Details. Suggested $5 donation
- (7p) PBS Need to Know: Crossing the Line Part 2 - Correspondent John Larson investigates stories of physical abuse, sexual assault and even torture. Meet at Equality Alliance at 2910 Gunn Street. Show airs at 8:30 PM.
21 Jul 2012 - Sat
To update your mailing list preferences, including unsubscribing, go to this address: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
Occupy Walk - NATGAT - 99 Mile March and Guitarmy
Shut Down San Onofre
Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP)
- Please vote in the L.A. Times opinion poll on shutting down the plant permanently. Unions have been encouraging votes to get it back on line; thus the votes for shutting SONGS down are under 40%.
- Project landing web site: http://ShutDownSanOnofre.org
- 30-sec TV Spot Catch it on MSNBC. Thank you Friends of the Earth!
- On April 18th, Southern California Edison (SEC) admitted that Unit 2 had the same unusual wear as Unit 3 (the one the blew a tube) meaning it will be very difficult to turn on Unit 3 before understanding the problem, as had been suggested as one option by NRC Secretary Gregory Jaczko at the press conference.
- Regarding the press conference -- 20/20 hindsight says our action would have been better not at the San Onofre plant, but in the street outside the Doubletree Hotel where Chairman Jaczko already had all the media, and people could easily see, park, etc.
- New Facebook page: http://www.Facebook.com/ShutSongs <-- Please like it!
- Cities of Irvine and Solana Beach voted to shut down San Onofre. This needs to be on the agenda of all local cities.
Endorsements - Each organization below stands in solidarity with the disenfranchised both here and abroad in condemning these talks as destructive to the workers of the world, and have endorsed a Call to Action.
Please sign a petition
demanding that US Trade Representative Ron Kirk release all Trans-Pacific Free Trade Agreement proposals now: http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/1034/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=9842
More on TPP follows in the Media section below.
Occupy Walk has adopted a more practical walking schedule based on walking an average of 15 miles per day, 5 days per week. The additional 2 days off dedicated to outreach activities.
FROM: Needles, CA
|| Est Time
|| Est. Arrival
| San Diego, CA
|| 18 Feb 2012
| 29 Palms
|| 19 Mar 2012
Jason Brock at 29 Palms
| Needles, CA
|| 20 Mar 2012
| Crossed into AZ
|| 22 Mar 2012
| Lake Havasu
|| 25 Mar 2012
| Oatman, AZ
|| 27 Mar 2012
|| Oatman to Golden Valley
| Kingman, AZ
|| 30 Mar 2012 - 01 Apr 2012
Video: Occupy Walk in Kingman, AZ
| Seligman, AZ
|| 09 Apr 2012
Photos to the tune of Kid Rock "Born Free"
| Flagstaff, AZ
|| 12 Apr 2012 - 15 Apr 2012
DJ, who joined the walk in L.A., playing in the snow
| Albuquerque, NM
|| 331 mi
|| 4.5 wks
|| heading northeast to Santa Fe
We will try to have an updated itinerary for the O-Walkers soon. They will be coming back to Santa Fe after the national Occupy gathering in Philadelphia concludes on July 4th.
Things YOU can do right now to help.
From John B Kenney on Tuesday:
Thanks so much Everyone,
Much more still to be done. But for now....
Thanks for all the work, sweat & tear.
YES!! Si se puede.
YES WE DID!! WE WON!!
California lawmakers pass historic foreclosure protections http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-homeowner-rights-20120703,0,5215367.story
Sometimes David beats Goliath. Today is one of those days.
Just a few minutes ago, the Homeowner Bill of Rights was passed by the California State Legislature. This means that Wall Street Banks are on
notice: California will no longer tolerate the unfair and abusive foreclosure practices of the big banks.
The banks fought this legislation with everything they had. They spent $70,000 a day filling the campaign accounts of elected officials and the halls of the capital with lobbyists. Together, we fought back with a strategic, coordinated and powerful campaign that ultimately prevailed. We organized thousands of boots on the ground, held rallies in key districts, earned dozens and dozens of media hits and made it clear that legislators would be exposed if they choose Banks over communities. (Thanks Vivian, Eddie, Courage Campaign & ACCE)
Thank you all again for all your precious, hard work. And Juan Vargas & Ron Calderon were both YES! Not over by a long shot - but at least many struggling individuals and some devastated communities of color will have a fighting chance.
Great work & let's keep up the great fight. Whose homes? OUR homes!!!
OSD ( Special Thanks to OccupyFightsForeclosures, Carlos, Suzanne, etc. and all in the Occupy family & the 99%)
See All Occupy San Diego Announcements
to read all previous announcements about
- Where we meet, how to recover confiscated property from the San Diego Police Department, information for people were arrested, etc.
- Social Network Moderator Guidelines - OSD guidelines for moderating social network discussions
- OSD speaks at the Citizens Review Board of Police Practices on 1/24
Have you been mistreated by the Police? Have your First Amendment rights been violated? Have you been arrested for nothing, only to have the charges "unfiled" but held over your head for up to a year?
- First read this document: http://www.2momslaw.com/police_misconduct.pdf
- Make a Complaint: How to Make a Police Complaint
- Use this form: Complaint Form
- Forms also available in the lobby of City Hall.
- Citizen's Review Board member says we do NOT need names & badge numbers. File the complaint & it's up to SDPD to determine who the officer was (But it is better if we have them, of course).
- ALSO: By telephone or in writing to
- SDPD Internal Affairs Unit, 1401 Broadway, MS 709, San Diego CA 92101, (619) 531-2801
- Complaints made to the Citizens Review Board do not necessarily make it into the officers' personnel files
- Read this: Making Police Complaints That Stick
- Also, consider making a CLAIM against the city for your BOND money if charges were never filed. They have 45 days to reject the claim, then you file a lawsuit. It costs $400 to file unless you can claim low income.
Lutz suing Civic Center Plaza building owners and operators Project Details
- TELL POLICE HOW THEY ARE DOING: Police host monthly meetings in the community to get feedback from community members.
- More on this project... Including collected media, documents, photos, videos, etc.
- This is a VERY IMPORTANT project because we will directly engage wall street firms who own and operate the Civic Center Plaza office building.
- The National Lawyers Guild resources to protesters who have been arrested 619-500-4486 email@example.com
- 1st Circuit Rules Public Has Right to Videotape Police
- What to say to cops if you're busted. What you say and do can hurt you in court -- This is what I advise my clients to say when confronted by a law enforcement officer: "Officer, please understand I refuse to talk with you until I consult with my attorney. I also refuse to consent to any search of these premises or any other premises under my control, or in which I have a possessory, proprietary, or privacy interest, including my car, my body, or effects. I hereby demand to immediately be allowed the reasonable opportunity to obtain the advice of my attorney by telephone. from: http://layon.net/busted.php
- To check if someone is in jail check this website: http://apps.sdsheriff.net/wij/wij.aspx
- It usually takes about 6 hours for someone who has been arrested to pop up here. This site will tell you their charges, bail, etc. Jail's number is (619) 615-2700. The jail won't tell you much if anything that is not on the website. Please check this website before saying someone is in or out of jail to avoid confusion.
- FYI -- Penal Code 849.5. In any case in which a person is arrested and released and no accusatory pleading is filed charging him with an offense, any record of arrest of the person shall include a record of release. Thereafter, the arrest shall not be deemed an arrest, but a detention only.
- http://www.constitution.org/uslaw/defunlaw.htm -- Your rights when you are being arrested falsely.
LINKS AND REFERENCES
Links to sites/pages below that are no longer actively updated:
SEND THIS LINK AND TELL OTHERS TO SUBSCRIBE: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
If you have:
- lists of emails that should be subscribed
- events or notices that should be included
- needs or wants to request from our supporters
- specific requests for volunteers
SEND TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
and we'll work to get that information included in this daily update.
NOTICE TO MEDIA / DISCLAIMER |
Occupy San Diego is comprised of many people
with diverse opinions. This email does not provide
the official position of Occupy San Diego, but is
compiled for the use of supporters and occupiers
by a number of volunteers.
News Media that may subscribe to this email blast
should confirm all information from other sources.
THANK YOU FOR BEING INVOLVED.
Edited by Email Blast Team:
- Chris West (Editor/Events)
- Jason Packman (Education Events)
- Ray Lutz (Mentor/Editor/Infrastructure)
- Occupy San Diego project page in "Common" web: Occupy San Diego
- New Occupy Project (new web): Occupy Web -- we will be migrating to this new web.