Citizens Oversight, Inc. is a nonprofit public benefit Delaware corporation with primary offices in California.
The Certificate of Incorporation for Citizens Oversight, Inc. (a Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation), provides as its purpose: “education and training for citizen activists.”
Citizens Oversight Inc.’s Bylaws further provide that the “primary specific purpose is the education, training, and support of citizen activists. Citizens Oversight encourages increased engagement by the public in the operation of their local, state, and federal government to reduce waste, fraud and abuse by public officials.” Relevant activities that support this goal:
- Facilitate citizens volunteering to provide oversight for specific bodies in their local area and be involved in local chapters for support and education of local volunteers.
- Provide education and training for citizens to understand the appropriate procedures used by public bodies, the rights of citizens to provide oversight, information regarding conflicts of interest, inappropriate procedures, and goals of openness of these bodies.
- Provide tools and information to allow citizens to follow specific issues regarding operation of those bodies, such as waste, fraud and abuse which will occur when insufficient public oversight exists.
- Represent the interests of consumers in administrative and judicial proceedings concerning public utilities matters.
Citizens Oversight has active and contributing members throughout the state of California and in several other states. Several projects have represented the interests of the public in southern California and state wide:
- Snapshot Protocol was implemented in all 58 counties in California in the last election. This oversight protocol uses reports that were already being generated, but archives them at an appropriate time so as to enable an ability to catch election fraud.
- CPUC and NRC intervention -- Citizens Oversight has intervened at the Public Utilities Commission and Nuclear Regulatory Commission regarding the San Onofre Nuclear Plant closure and subsequent waste storage and decommissioning plans.
- Enabling citizens to fight local projects -- Helped provide tools and education to local residents so they could fight the Blackwater training camp in San Diego County and similar projects in Riverside and other counties. Also worked with activists in Idaho and Illinois on similar projects.
Citizens Oversight currently has dozens of open projects to help citizens provide oversight at a grass-roots level, available at our website at http://www.CitizensOversight.org