Blackwater In Soutwestern College
Direct link to this page: http://www.copswiki.org/Common/BlackwaterInSouthwesternCollege
July 8th, Board of Governors' meeting
Please attend the meeting at the Southwestern College
main campus, 900 Otay Lakes Rd, Chula Vista, 6:30p meet for protest outside and 7pm inside for public comment. They will have the SHOOTING RANGE TASK FORCE on the agenda.
- We must get them on board to complete the research for other facilities.
- The Sheriff's range is available at NO COST to students. We must push for the Blackwater-Xe agreement to be terminated!
June 10th Board of Governors' meeting
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO CAME TO SPEAK.
June 10 at the National City Higher Education Center
880 National City Boulevard, National City , CA 91950
Meet at 6:30p outside the meeting room and speak at public comment at 7pm.
At the prior meeting, we made great progress, eliminating the most egregious overstepping by Blackwater-Xe to get on campus, use their conference rooms for recruiting, etc. Unfortunately, we need to remind the board that we need to go one step further and terminate the agreement with this mercenary firm and instead use OTHER FACILITIES that are actually very much available.
The Board of Trustees voted to renegotiate the contract with Blackwater, removing most of the ridiculous provisions of the prior agreement on March 11. This topic came back before the Governing Board on May 13 at the Southwestern College
Board Room. Thank you to everyone who attended and spoke their mind on this issue.
Here is the video of the meeting:
Thank you for the healthy turn-out at this meeting, and truly great comments. Congressman Bob Filner
also spoke a the meeting.
Thank you for the healthy turn-out at this meeting, esp. to Noel Willcockson who took some fantastic photos (see below). The Governing Board voted to cancel the agreement with Blackwater-Xe
After making a request for information under the California Pubic Records Act
(see in the document list below), Southwestern College
acted like there was tons of information to disclose, and that it would take more than 10 days to provide. However, their final response was provided on April 3 (just prior to Spring Break) and consisted of a letter that stated that nothing much would be provided (except for documents we have already accessed electronically) because of an "on-going negotiation" with Blackwater-Xe. The document read by Dr. Domingeuz during the meeting that was specifically requested was not provided as well, despite clear requirements that anything distributed in a meeting (like reading, for example) would be available to the public. (They said it would be available "for inspection" but that is a bit difficult over Spring Break.) They also made crummy paper copies of the documents instead of providing it in electronic form, which we asked for, and they are supposed to provide under Calif. Code. 6253.9.
(a) Unless otherwise prohibited by law, any agency that has
information that constitutes an identifiable public record not
exempt from disclosure pursuant to this chapter that is in an
electronic format shall make that information available in an
electronic format when requested by any person...
BLACKWATER TEACH IN
occurred on April 2, 2009 in Room 214 at the Southwestern College
Presenter: Raymond Lutz, founder of Citizens' Oversight Projects Committee (COPs) and former candidate, 77th State Assembly District. Ray runs the web site http://www.StopBlackwater.net
Date: Thursday, April 2, 2009
Place: Room 214, Southwestern College, 900 Otay Lakes Road, Chula Vista, CA 91910
Time: 2:00pm - 4:00pm
Invitation at Southwestern College by Christopher Martinez
A video of this presentation is available here:
Southwestern College signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Blackwater Lodge and Training Center (Now Xe, Inc.) to use the Blackwater shooting range and warfare training center in Otay Mesa (see Blackwater Otay
), compensating Blackwater for their cost of operating the range, and in trade, using on-campus conference rooms without limitation.
First, read the proposed "Memorandum of Understanding":
Click for more info about the Southwestern College Governing Board
. District policy states: "Regular meetings of the Governing Board shall generally be held on the second Wednesday of each month. Regular meetings of the Governing Board shall normally be held at 900 Otay Lakes Road, Room 214, Chula Vista, California. A notice identifying the location, date, and time of each regular meeting of the Governing Board shall be posted at least ten (10) days prior to the meeting and shall remain posted until the day and time of the meeting." More info on meetings here: http://www.swccd.edu/CrPdfs/2310RegularMeetings.pdf
(Adding And Viewing Images
- 2009-01-28 - MOU Included in Board of Trustees Packet.
- 2009-02-09 - Union Tribune publishes brief article about the agreement.
- 2009-03-03 - Lutz sends letter to SWC regarding MOU.
- 2009-03-09 - Suarez sends Bonfiglio a revised MOU.
- 2009-03-11 - MOU approval "reconsidered" by the Board of Trustees. However, the motion to reconsider was never made, and a motion instead was put forward to renegotiate the MOU.
- 2009-03-16 - Submitted CPRA Request by hand delivery.
- 2009-04-03 - SWC mails response to CPRA request just before Spring Break.
- 2009-04-08 - Lutz receives hardcopy response. SWC violates law by not sending electronic version when requested.
- 2009-04-13 - Lutz goes to SWC to review email between Suarez and Bonfiglio. Attachment to the email not provided.
- 2009-04-13 - Lutz sends email to Mary Ganio asking disposition of MOU and request attachment, among other questions.
- 2009-08-12 - Activists speak at Governing Board meeting and are successful in getting the board to agree to place an item to cancel the agreement on the October agenda.
- 2009-10-14 - Board votes to cancel the contract with Blackwater-Xe
Recent Articles and Media: (Add | All Media)
This is the most recently published articles, most recent first.
Number of topics: 28
- (M939) 2010-01-30 Activist a common sight recording local meetings -- Ray Lutz is government watchdog -- Anne Krueger, Union Tribune, Features Raymond Lutz
- (M923) 2010-01-21 Police academy suspends classes -- Kristina Davis, Union Tribune, (Note: this academy recently pulled their contract with Blackwater/Xe to use the Blackwater Otay training facility. See Blackwater In Southwestern College for the full story on our 10-month battle to stop that contract. This additional scrutiny of their training facility may be a result as well.)
- (M884) 2009-11-03 FIRE Letter to Southwestern College Superintendent-President Raj K. Chopra -- Adam Kissel, Foundation For Individual Rights In Education,
- (M870) 2009-10-16 Blackwater-Xe Contract Canceled by Southwestern College -- Raymond Lutz, Citizens Oversight, We worked for ten months on this project, and success is sweet indeed! THANK YOU!
- (M818) 2009-10-14 Southwestern College Board Meeting, 2009-10-14 - Cancels Blackwater Contract -- Raymond Lutz, Citizens Oversight, (5 Parts) Thank you for attending this meeting!! WE WON! Includes cancellation of Blackwater-Xe contract.
- (M883) 2009-10-14 Board cancels divisive contract -- Unanimous vote reverses pact with controversial Blackwater/Xe -- John Carter, Southwestern College Sun,
- (M811) 2009-08-12 Southwestern College Board Meeting, 2009-08-12 -- Raymond Lutz, Citizens Oversight, Thank you for attending this meeting. We got the item on the agenda for October.
- (M812) 2009-08-07 US security firm faces fresh allegations - 07 Aug 09 -- , Al Jazeera,
- (M802) 2009-07-08 Southwestern College Board Meeting, 2009-07-08 -- Raymond Lutz, Citizens Oversight,
- (M798) 2009-06-10 Southwestern College Governing Board meeting, 2009-06-10 -- Raymond Lutz, Citizens Oversight, Videos available for entire meeting and Blackwater Comments only. Includes Agenda item #21 'TASK FORCE FOR FIRING RANGE'
- (M785) 2009-05-14 Forum Held Over Southwestern College's Contract With Military Security Firm XE -- , Kfmb Radio, Blackwater In Southwestern College
- (M781) 2009-05-13 Memorandum of Understanding between Xe Services, LLC and Southwestern Community College District -- , Southwestern College, Blackwater In Southwestern College
- (M786) 2009-05-13 Southwestern College Board, 2009-05-13, Blackwater-Xe Item -- Raymond Lutz, Citizens Oversight, almost 2 hrs; Blackwater In Southwestern College
- (M783) 2009-05-12 Letter from CitizensOversight to SouthwesternCollege Governing Board regarding renegotiated XeBlackwater Agreement. -- Raymond Lutz, Citizens Oversight, Blackwater In Southwestern College
- (M767) 2009-04-15 Congressman Bob Filner to address Southwestern College Governing Board to Oppose Blackwater Agreement -- Raymond Lutz, Citizens Oversight, Blackwater In Southwestern College
- (M782) 2009-04-15 Southwestern College Board Meeting, 2009-04-15, Blackwater Comments -- Raymond Lutz, Citizens Oversight, Blackwater In Southwestern College Features Congressman Bob Filner
- (M768) 2009-04-02 Stop Blackwater Presentation, April 2009 -- Raymond Lutz, Citizens Oversight, Blackwater In Southwestern College
- (M764) 2009-04-01 Minutes of Southwestern College March 11 Meeting Regarding Blackwater -- , Southwestern College, Blackwater In Southwestern College
- (M755) 2009-03-16 CPRA Request of Southwestern College & Blackwater -- Raymond Lutz, Citizens Oversight, Blackwater In Southwestern College
- (M752) 2009-03-12 Southwestern to rework training contract with Xe -- Chris Moran, Union Tribune, Blackwater In Southwestern College
- (M754) 2009-03-11 Blackwater (Xe) at Southwestern College -- Raymond Lutz, Citizens Oversight, Blackwater In Southwestern College
- (M748) 2009-03-03 Letter to Southwestern College Governing Board requesting that the MOU with Blackwater be reconsidered and revoked. -- Raymond Lutz, Citizens Oversight, Blackwater In Southwestern College
- (M749) 2009-03-03 Citizens' Oversight Group wants Blackwater Agreement with Southwestern College Pulled. -- Raymond Lutz, Citizens Oversight, Blackwater In Southwestern College
- (M745) 2009-03-02 Email: From the guy with a bag on his head -- Mark Pentilescu, , Blackwater In Southwestern College
- (M750) 2009-03-02 Congressman Hopes to Break Blackwater Deal with School -- , San Diego 6, Blackwater In Southwestern College
- (M736) 2009-02-25 Governing board sets deal with Blackwater -- Filner, faculty rip SWC pact with "mercenaries" -- Esmeralda F. Ramirez, Southwestern College Sun, Blackwater In Southwestern College
- (M728) 2009-02-09 Students to use firing range at Blackwater site -- (Unknown), Union Tribune, Blackwater In Southwestern College
- (M741) 2009-01-28 Southwestern College / Blackwater MOU -- , Southwestern College, Blackwater In Southwestern College
See List Serve
for all email discussion lists and to add more.
Please address your letters, emails, phone calls to the following information:
900 Otay Lakes Rd.
Chula Vista, CA 91910-7299
Raj K. Chopra, Ph.D.
Assistant to the President
Vice President for Student Affairs
900 Otay Lakes Road
Chula Vista, CA 91910
Dr. Suarez handled the negotiations with Blackwater and used to be in charge of the Otay Mesa SWC facility.