Derek Casady was born in Oklahoma City, grew up in South Texas, graduated from high school in Phoenix, and college at Stanford.
After college he served 3½ years as an officer in the Navy aboard an LST (Tank Landing Ship) which took part in the last atmospheric nuclear tests in the Pacific.
Derek has worked as a newspaper reporter and editor at the El Cajon Daily Californian, as a copy editor at the Los Angeles Times, and as an editor at Psychology Today magazine in Del Mar.
With his wife Nancy, he was a co-founder of the Beach Area Community Clinic in Mission Beach, which began as a free clinic, seeing 20,000 patients the first year.
He also worked for 10 years as the Administative Assistant to Senator Jim Mills, the President Pro Tempore of the California Senate.
After that, he and Nancy owned and managed Casady's Whole Foods Market in Encinitas for five years.
Derek is a past president of the La Jolla Democratic Club, and currently serves as vice president. He is also a member of the San Diego County Democratic Central Committee.
Derek and Nancy have been longtime community, peace, and Democratic Party activists. In the 80's they were arrested at the Bay Area's UC Livermore Laboratory in a protest against President Reagan's nuclear weapons buildup.
In the 2004 presidential primary, Derek and Nancy coordinated Congressman Dennis Kucinich's San Diego campaign.
Derek and Nancy have five children and four grandchildren. They live in La Jolla (members of Congress are not required to reside in their districts), and own property on lower Mt. Helix.
Derek lived in El Cajon for 10 years when his father Simon owned the El Cajon Valley News. As an El Cajon reporter Derek covered the city council, the planning commission, the school board, fire and police departments, Helix Water District and the courts.
Derek's heroes are Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Mahatma Gandhi, Franklin Roosevelt, Barbara Lee, Cynthia Mc Kinney
, Barbara Boxer, John and Robert Kennedy, and Muhammed Ali.
Derek and Nancy are avid mixed doubles tennis players.
Derek reads several monthly magazines, three daily newspapers, various internet blogs and websites, and numerous books on ways to improve America.
- The Honorable U.S. Representative Bob Filner, California's 51st District
- The Honorable State Senator Christine Kehoe
- Former Congressman Lionel Van Deerlin
- San Diego Democratic Club, Acceptable Rating
- Bob Cohn, President, La Jolla Democratic Club
- Floyd Morrow, former El Cajon City Councilperson
- Jim Bell, Ecologist, Author, Environmental Designer
- Kennan Kasder, former Chairperson, San Diego Democratic Central Committee
- Dr. Rolf Schulze, Professor of Sociology, San Diego State University
- Jane Schulze, PhD., Early Childhood Education
- Dr. Richard Farson, president, Western Behavioral Science Institute
- Colleen Conaway, School Principal, Peterson Elementary
- Ernie McCray, Poet and Author; retired Educator and Principal
- Dr. Mel Crain, retired, Professor of Political Science, San Diego State University
- Dr. Jack Hardebeck, Grossmont Hospital Board
- Robert Guthrie, retired, Fashion Store Owner
-- Raymond Lutz
- 15 Apr 2006